I can remember my right hand running along a lined sheet of
paper with a lead pencil awkwardly poised on my little fingers, a five year old
mind on a three thousand years old question- “What I want to be when I
grow-up?” These visions are like black & white photographs, whispers of
past. I realize now that my identity as a professional had little to do with my
dreamy decisions in kindergarten what I hadn’t taken much into considerations.
I believed every kid has such dreamy wavy fascinations as we, as a kid, do not
understand the pragmatic & realistic aspects of lives.
Aah! So here I met this girl whom I rated as the smartest
kid I ever met. No, I didn’t meet her in some cyber world or in a GK quiz, but
on the road, while I was on my way to the office.
Last Monday, while I was on my way to the office, I stuck in this annoying long traffic jam.
A five-six year old little girl with untidy clothes &
hair came to my car and knocked the window pane. These street kids do the
similar activity every now & then whenever the car stops at red lights and
we never used to respond them (I, personally, don’t believe in any kind of
charity on roads.). Unlike every time, I opened the window this time.
Girl: Didi! Paisa dedo, bhookh lagi hai.
I: Bread ya biscuits khaogi?
Girl: Nahi, paisa dedo
I: Paisa kyun chahiye, bhookh lagi hai na to khaane ke liye
le lo kuch, seb (apple) logi?
Girl (irritated): Paisa dedo na, ghar le jana hai, nhi le
gayi to pappa maarega.
I(baffled): Pappa matlab tumhare papa, wo maarenge agar
paisa nhi diya to!?! Mere saath chalogi? ( I knew even if she would say ‘yes’,
I couldn’t take her with me, but silly I’m, this question originated from my
heart and before it reached my mind, it came out of my mouth)
Girl (sceptically): Kyun? Aapke saath kyun aau!!!
I: Tumhare papa tumhe maarte hain na, wo tumse pyar nahi
karte
Girl: Aap bhi kaam pe jaa rhe ho, nahi jaoge to aapka pappa
bhi aapko gussa karega na!!! to matlab kya wo aapko pyar nahi karta!!! (her
answer actually left me stunned)
I wanted to let her know the difference between 'work to earn' and 'beg to earn' but in her perception, begging was her work and she was to
complete her daily targets by begging and collecting some amount of money. And I did not want her to lose gratitude either for her work or for her father.
I took out a 20 rupee note from my wallet and gave to her.
Probably, she was expecting some one, two or maximum five rupee coin, her eyes
shone, she gave me a million-dollar smile and left. I curled-up my window.
I was still in the traffic, my car was on the same point
since almost 20-25 minutes! I laid back on my head rest and closed my eyes.
After 3-4 minutes, again I heard the knock on window, the
same girl! I scrolled-down the window.
Girl (bit hesitant): Diddi! Biscoot….de doge….. ???
I always keep this small pack of my favourite biscuits
krackjack in my bag, which I took out along with an apple and offered to the
girl. She, surprisingly, looked at the biscuits and asked me, ‘poora lelu?’. I
replied, ‘haan, le lo’. She took the biscuit but left the apple (usual kids’ dislike
for fruits, I guess). Then, she took-out this pink flower from her dirty small
bag and extended towards me. I asked, ‘ye kisliye, kya karu iska main?’. She
answered, ‘aapke liye wahan (pointing at a roadside plant) se leke aayi, ache ho aap, isliye lelo’. I
smiled and took it, she smiled back and left. My eyes followed her till she
disappeared.
Every day this little girl wanders on streets to beg money,
but she was actually living inside a cage where she does not know the outside
world, her rights as a child, her fear as a girl. She was very much happy and
contended in her own cage. She is so sharp that she understands that though all
parents love their kids, but they express it more when the kids reach their
expectations, so what if the expectation is to beg! She knows her priority which
is beg & collect money and no one can baffle her by offering biscuits or
breads. She is so sensible to know to say thanks, in return, for any sweet
gesture offered to her.
Awesome girl she was... Wasn't she!?! I wish, she never come out of this cage of unawareness and remain happy always! Nothing can make one happier other than mental contentment, and she has this contentment more than anyone else I met before...
Every morning, my eyes look for her at the same place, but couldn't get to see her after that. I've kept this another packet of biscoot for her in my bag!!!

Nyc one
ReplyDeleteSomeone has truly said : Ignorance is a bliss!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Deepali :)
ReplyDeleteYes, Ignorance is a bliss..... The universal concept says: Unaware, Unskilled - Happy! ,,, Aware, Unskilled - Unhappy! ,,, Aware, Skilled - Happy!..... So, if third stage is somehow unachievable, then, it's always good to remain in stage-I rather than II
very interesting rolll, miss ya. keep up d good writing.your writin exactly reflects ur heart.I could actualy feel ur thoughts like d way u wud have told me dis story in hostel.i mis u.
ReplyDeleteTouching and good...
ReplyDeleteThank you Qunain & Sonal :-)
ReplyDeleteVery nice write up... When one person give something to other and do not expect anything in return, it makes other person happy and same thing happened to both of you that day.. When you gave her biscuits and money, she knew, it's coming from your heart and you are not expecting anything from her and it made her happy and when she offered you a flower and said you are a nice person, and you knew when she said that she really mean it... It made you happy...
ReplyDeleteWhen small kids give something to elders... It comes directly from their innocent heart (otherwise they won't give it), it touches heart and it brings smile on your face :)